Words cannot capture how much I wish Satoshi had put logic like this (or
even just a simple block size doubling every reward halving) in place when
he put in the "temporary" 1MB anti-spam block size limit...

I see problems to this approach.  The biggest one I see is that a miner
with 11% of hash power could sabotage block size increases by only ever
mining empty blocks.

I haven't run any statistics or simulations, but I'm concerned that the
interplay between the random distribution of transaction arrival and the
random distribution of block times may lead to false signals.

A 90% full block 1 minute after the previous block is a more "serious"
problem than a 90% full block 30 minutes after the previous block.  A 90%
full block after a 90% full block is a more "serious" problem than a 90%
full block after an empty block.

I would expect a robust approach in this manner to look at block sizes
weighted by block times, but this is an interesting proposal regardless.

But I think you'll run up against one of the great schisms in this debate -
those that believe blocks should always be full (or close to it), to
encourage a "fee market" and to encourage off-chain transactions, and those
that think that the blockchain should be useable by almost anyone for
almost anything, implying there should always be spare space in blocks,
with off-chain transactions reserved for microtransactions and zero-conf
(and possibly low-fee transactions).  At least, that's my take on it.

Rodney