> On Mar 5, 2017, at 5:57 AM, John Hardy via bitcoin-dev
> <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> > Nodes are by design not supposed to be identifiable in any way

This is of course my objection to BIP150 ("a way for peers to ... guarantee
node ownership").

> I feel you're conflating social identifiability with technical
> identifiability. Sure, a node operator must always be able to remain
> anonymous, but nodes themselves require a certain level of identifiability
> otherwise there would be no means to communicate between them.

Anonymous node identity is pointless, and is why I object to BIP151. It
provides no actual security/privacy benefit and is a stepping stone to
non-anonymous node identity (e.g. BIP150).

> I agree that absolute node counts have their limitations, but that doesn't
> stop them being used as a measure and even propaganda tool. If something like
> this is a way to help highlight the latter when it is occurring I think it
> has value. I 'm not convinced that node identifiers or identity persistence
> would have any meaningful impact on privacy, though am open to being
> convinced otherwise.

Bitcoin does not require node counts, and this proposal is redundant with
BIP150.