Mark,

I think I have found an improvement that can be made.

As you recall, a downside to this approach is that one must make two
commitments: first, to the particular "membership-checking script"; and then
in that script, to the particular merkle root of possible scripts.

Would there be any harm in, instead of checking membership, *calculating* the
root? If not, then we could define that instead of the witness program
committing to H(membership-check script), it rather commits to H(membership-
calculation script | data added by an OP_ADDTOSCRIPTHASH). This would, I
believe, securely reduce the commitment of both to a single hash.

It also doesn't reduce flexibility, since one could omit OP_ADDTOSCRIPTHASH
from their "membership-calculation" script to get the previous membership-
check behaviour, and use <hash> OP_EQUAL in its place.

What do you think?

Luke