Is there an application that requires watching for output scripts that
doesn't also require watching for input scrips (or, less efficiently,
input outpoints)?

Any of the wallet application that I'm aware of need to see coins
being spent as well as created, else they may try to spend already
spent coins. If we're not aware of any applications that wouldnt use
both, there isn't much reason to separate them and if input scripts
are used instead of input outpoints there is additional savings from
combining them (due to the same scripts being spent as were created in
the block-- due to reuse and chaining).

I still am of the belief, based on Matt's argument, that there is no
use for txid what-so-ever (instead just watch for an outpoint).