> Doesn't the current BIP157 protocol have each filter commit to the filter
> for the previous block?

Yep!

> If that's the case, shouldn't validating the commitment at the tip of the
> chain (or buried back whatever number of blocks that the SPV client
trusts)
> obliviate the need to validate the commitments for any preceeding blocks
in
> the SPV trust model?

Yeah, just that there'll be a gap between the p2p version, and when it's
ultimately committed.

> It seems like you're claiming better security here without providing any
> evidence for it.

What I mean is that one allows you to fully verify the filter, while the
other allows you to only validate a portion of the filter and requires other
added heuristics.

> In the case of prevout+output filters, when a client receives
> for different filters from different peers, it:

Alternatively, they can decompress the filter and at least verify that
proper _output scripts_ have been included. Maybe this is "good enough"
until its committed. If a command is added to fetch all the prev outs along
w/ a block (which would let you do another things like verify fees), then
they'd be able to fully validate the filter as well.

-- Laolu