On Sun, Jul 04, 2021 at 09:02:25PM -0400, Russell O'Connor via bitcoin-dev
wrote:
> Bear in mind that when people are talking about enabling covenants, we are
> talking about whether OP_CAT should be allowed or not.

In some sense multisig *alone* enables recursive covenants: a government
that wants to enforce KYC can require that funds be deposited into
a multisig of "2 <recipient> <gov_key> 2 CHECKMULTISIG", and that
"recipient" has gone through KYC. Once deposited to such an address,
the gov can refus to sign with gov_key unless the funds are being spent
to a new address that follows the same rules.

(That's also more efficient than an explicit covenant since it's all
off-chain -- recipient/gov_key can jointly sign via taproot/MuSig at
that point, so that full nodes are only validating a single pubkey and
signature per spend, rather than having to do analysis of whatever the
underlying covenant is supposed to be [0])

This is essentially what Liquid already does -- it locks bitcoins into
a multisig and enforces an "off-chain" covenant that those bitcoins can
only be redeemed after some valid set of signatures are entered into
the Liquid blockchain. Likewise for the various BTC-on-Ethereum tokens.
To some extent, likewise for coins held in exchanges/custodial wallets
where funds can be transferred between customers off-chain.

You can "escape" from that recursive covenant by having the government
(or Liquid functionaries, or exchange admins) change their signing
policy of course; but you could equally escape any consensus-enforced
covenant by having a hard fork to stop doing consensus-enforcement (cf
ETH Classic?). To me, that looks more like a difference of procedure
and difficulty, rather than a fundamental difference in kind.

Cheers,
aj

[0] https://twitter.com/pwuille/status/1411533549224693762