Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 03:26:23 -0700
From: Jeremy <jlru...@mit.edu>
To: Andrew Poelstra <apoels...@wpsoftware.net>, Bitcoin Protocol
        Discussion <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Is there a tool like Ethereum EVM at
        present for Bitcoin script?

This has actually never been true (Sapio assumes extensions).

If the extensions are not present, you can stub them out with a signing
federation instead, configurable as flags, and you can also write many
contracts that do not use the ctv based components at all.

The protocol for emulation is a bit clever (if I do say so myself) since it
ensures that contract compilation is completely offline and the oracles are
completely stateless.

Relevant links:

https://learn.sapio-lang.org/ch05-01-ctv-emulator.html
https://learn.sapio-lang.org/ch03-02-finish.html