See the current patchset proposed:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/22871/commits

Two things are happening that are separate:

1) Fixing the semantics of arg in <arg> OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY
2) Fixing the semantics on nSequence in each tx input

There is no sense in conditioning part 1 on RBF or anything else, since
it's only loosely related to 2. I think it should be a class-2 rollout as
you describe above since it's a rule tightening.

For part 2, I think the way the patches handle it currently (which is
defining 1 byte type prefix followed by 3 bytes application data) is
sufficient for immediate deployment.

I agree with you that a class-2 rollout might be appropriate for it, but
that can be followed by removing the SEQUENCE_ROOT_TYPE::SPECIAL field
later as a class-1 rollout. However, so long as it's not being used for any
particular constants, there is no need to deallocate
SEQUENCE_ROOT_TYPE::SPECIAL tag as long as no new use case must overlap
it's range.

With respect to the SEQUENCE_ROOT_TYPE::UNCHECKED_METADATA, it is in fact
*not* mempool data, but is a special type of metadata which is required for
the counterparty to efficiently respond to a unilateral channel closure (see
bolt-3 This obscures the number of commitments made on the channel in the
case of unilateral close, yet still provides a useful index for both nodes
(who know the payment_basepoints) to quickly find a revoked commitment
transaction.)

I understand wanting to remove full-rbf, but I think that fixing the
upgradability of sequences is much less controversial among the
userbase and worth doing expediently. That part 1 is doable now -- albeit
as a class 2 -- means that it would not be unreasonable to bundle parts 1
and 2 so that we don't double burden the community with an upgrade effort.
Further, RBF can be disabled on a purely ad-hoc node-by-node policy layer,
whereas this restriction requires more community coordination/awareness.
--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>