Hi darosior,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

> I would like to know people's sentiment about doing (a very slightly tweaked
> version of) BIP118 in place of
> (or before doing) BIP119.

Sounds good to me. Although from an activation perspective it may not be
either/or, both proposals do compete for scarce reviewer time so their ordering
will necessarily be driven by reviewer's priorities. My priority is eltoo which
is why I focus on BIP-118.

> SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUTANYSCRIPT, if its "ANYONECANPAY" behaviour is made optional
> [0], can emulate CTV just fine.

For someone not as versed in CTV, why is it necessary that ANYONECANPAY be
optional to emulate CTV? Is there a write-up that explains how APO-AS w/out
ANYONECANPAY approximates CTV?

In the case of eltoo commit txs, we use bring-your-own-fee (BYOF) to late-bind
fees; that means ANYONECANPAY will always be paired with APO-AS for eltoo.
Settlement txs in eltoo use just APO and do not necessarily need to be paired
with ANYONECANPAY.

I would guess making ANYONECANPAY the default for APO-AS was a way to squeeze
in one more sighash flag. Perhaps there's another way to do it?

Including SIGHASH_GROUP with APO for eltoo is also tempting. Specifically so
the counter-party who commits a settlement tx can use for fees their settled
to_self balance. How to rejigger the sighash flags to accommodate both APO and
GROUP may be worth some discussion.

The BIP-118 proposal will certainly benefit from having input from reviewers
looking at other protocols than eltoo.

  -- Richard