Good evening ZmnSCPxj,

For the sake of simplicity, I'll use the terms lender (Landlord), borrower
(Lessor), interest (X), principal (Y), period (N) and maturity (height after N).

The lender in your scenario "provides use" of the principal, and is paid
interest in exchange. This is of course the nature of lending, as a period
without one's capital incurs an opportunity cost that must be offset (by
interest).

The borrower's "use" of the principal is what is being overlooked. To generate
income from capital one must produce something and sell it. Production requires
both capital and time. Borrowing the principle for the period allows the
borrower to produce goods, sell them, and return the "profit" as interest to
the lender. Use implies that the borrower is spending the principle - trading
it with others. Eventually any number of others end up holding the principle.
At maturity, the coin is returned to the lender (by covenant). At that point,
all people the borrower traded with are bag holders. Knowledge of this scam
results in an imputed net present zero value for the borrowed principal.

While the lack of usability is a cost to the lender, it is not a benefit to the
borrower. The lender incurs no risk, and will obtain no reward - as the loan is
of no value. Failure to deploy capital is an opportunity cost, and locking it
up is not deployment.

Now, even if we accept the generous (economically irrational) assumption that
money must increase in price (i.e. trades from more goods) over any given
period, we are still left with the observation that the presumed appreciation
would accrue to the lender absent lending, making it pointless.