@Dmitry
>  various software might start to use extra indexes in a tuple for their
own non-standard purposes

This will be true regardless of whether the spec allows or doesn't allow
tuples of length more than 2. In fact, any other tuple other than <1;2>
will be nonstandard. We can't prevent people from using standards in
use-case-specific ways, and we can't prevent people from creating
non-standard extensions of standards.

> Wallet software that wishes to utilize non-standard extra indexes beyond
'receive' and 'change' should use separate descriptors instead for these
extra indexes.

What benefit would that gain? The wallets would still be doing something
non-standard and interpreting those indexes however they want. A descriptor
format is simply defining a space of address derivation paths. It is not
describing in any way what each path is intended for - those are
conventions outside the scope of this BIP IMO. Defining the conventions of
derivation path indexes should be a separate BIP. Single responsibility
principle.