On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 09:32:29PM -0700, Eric Voskuil via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Protocol cannot be defined on an ad-hoc basis as a "courtesy"

BIPs are a courtesy in the first place. There's no central authority to
enforce some particular way of doing things.

> - and it's not exactly a courtesy to keep yourself from getting dropped by
> peers. It is not clear to me why such a comment would be accepted instead of
> specifying this properly.

If you think that the version restriction should be part of the BIP,
why not do a pull request? The BIP is still marked as "Draft".

> I doubt that anyone who's worked with it is terribly fond of Bitcoin's P2P
> protocol versioning. I've spent some time on a proposal to update it, though
> it hasn't been a priority. If anyone is interested in collaborating on it
> please contact me directly.

Bottlenecking a proposal on someone who doesn't see it as a priority
doesn't seem smart?

Here's what I think makes sense:

https://github.com/ajtowns/bips/blob/202210-p2pfeatures/bip-p2pfeatures.mediawiki

Cheers,