Hi,

Several years ago my team from Pandora Project working on censorship-resistant
distributed machine learning proposed Prometheus: a protocol for high-load
computing on top of Bitcoin. The protocol operates as a multi-party game
setting where an oracle ("worker") is provided with an arbitrary
computationally complex task (any Turing-complete computing, machine learning
training or inference etc) and the network is able to reach a consensus on
whether a result reported by the worker is true. The consensus is reached via
optional rounds of verification and arbitrage. The protocol is
cryptoeconomically-safe, i.e. has a proven Nash equilibrium. The protocol was
later transferred to LNP/BP Standards Association (https://lnp-bp.org) and was
kept in a backlog of what can be done in a future as a layer on top of Bitcoin.

I'd like to emphasize that Prometheus works on Bitcoin, requires just several
Bitcoin tx per task, and _doesn't require any soft fork_. All economic setting
is done with Bitcoin as a means of payment, and using existing Bitcoin script
capabilities.

Link to the paper describing the protocol:
<https://github.com/Prometheus-WG/prometheus-spec/blob/master/prometheus.pdf>

Only today I have realized that Prometheus protocol can be used to build
cryptoeconomically-safe (i.e. trustless) 2-way-peg on the Bitcoin blockchain
without any soft-forks: a "worker" in such a case acts as an oracle for some
extra-bitcoin system (sidechain, client-side-validated protocol, zk rollup etc)
validating it, and the protocol will reach consensus on whether the state
reported by the oracle is correct.

In other words, this is an alternative to BIP-300 and other similar soft-forks
having the only purpose of doing 2-way pegs. It also enables the two-way
trustless transfer of Bitcoins between Bitcoin blockchain, RGB and, in a
future, potential new layer 1 called "prime" (to learn more about prime you can
check my Baltic Honeybadger talk
<https://www.youtube.com/live/V3vvybsc1A4?feature=shared&t=23631>).

Kind regards,
Dr Maxim Orlovsky
Twitter: @dr_orlovsky
Nostr: npub13mhg7ksq9efna8ullmc5cufa53yuy06k73q4u7v425s8tgpdr5msk5mnym

LNP/BP Standards Association
Twitter: @lnp_bp