Hi Peter,

On 1/18/24 13:23, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Reposting this blog post here for discussion:
>
> https://petertodd.org/2024/one-shot-replace-by-fee-rate

I saw your proposal mentioned on Stacker News and read it with interest. In response, I described a replacement cycle that can be used to broadcast the same five transactions repeatedly:

https://stacker.news/items/393182

The gist is that by using two confirmed inputs and five transactions, you can use RBFr to reduce the absolute fee while raising the feerate to top block levels, then immediately use the current RBF rules to introduce a high-feerate transaction that beats the RBFr transaction but is hampered by a low-feerate parent and not attractive for mining, then use RBF to replace its low-feerate parent, then use the RBFr transaction again to reduce the absolute feerate. Due to the asymmetric replacements, the same transactions can replace each other in that order in every cycle. Please refer to the linked write-up for details, I’ve included weights, fees, and a transaction graph to make my example comprehensible.

Among those five transactions, the only transaction attractive for block inclusion would be the small RBFr transaction with a bottom-of-the-next-block feerate. Today, if it were mined it would amount to fees of around 4000 sats every few blocks to make the entire network relay transactions of more than 205,000 vB every few seconds. Given that my example is minimal, it should be possible to further increase bandwidth cost.

Assuming that I did not make a mistake, i.e. all the replacements are viable and my scenario is compatible with your proposal, the described One-Shot Replace-By-Fee-Rate proposal would not be safe for deployment on the network.

Best,
Murch