Hi Christopher

In the absence of a response from someone who is working on MuSig2/FROST etc I
did ask Tim Ruffing about the problems with using x-only pubkeys for MuSig2 etc
in an (online) London Bitcoin Devs meetup [0] in 2022.

His response was:

"If you want to do more complex things, for example MuSig or more complex
crypto then this bit is always a little pain in the ass. We can always get
around this but whenever we do advanced stuff like tweaking keys, a lot of
schemes involve tweaking keys, even Taproot itself involves tweaking, MuSig2
has key aggregation and so on. You always have to implicitly remember that bit
because it is not explicitly there. You have to implicitly remember it
sometimes. This makes specifications annoying. I don’t think it is a problem
for security but for engineering it is certainly annoying. In hindsight it is
not clear if we would make that decision again. I still think it is good
because we save a byte but you can also say the increased engineering
complexity is not worth it. At this point I can understand both points of view."

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Michael

[0]: