Sorry for shooting this approach down, but I'm against it. User-agent
strings are an extremely bad idea as it would lead developers to start
making communication choices depending on the client type. User-Agents in
HTTP are only useful if the clients (browsers) do not adhere to a well
defined behavior. I see the version string more as a kind of vanity point
(xyz peers are using my network code) and it would be bad to base choices
on it.
For protocol choices we already have a good mechanism in place (nServices)
to negotiate capabilities.

I for one vote for keeping it as simple as possible, just a simple string,
without any further meaning.