On 2 November 2013 17:26, Mike Hearn <m...@plan99.net> wrote:

> Guys, identity systems for the web are off-topic for this list. Other than
> the anonymous passports/SINs/fidelity bond ideas, Bitcoin doesn't have any
> relevance to it.
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Hannu Kotipalo <hannu.kotip...@iki.fi>wrote:
>
>> Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but the *real* answer to the question
>> "why-is-nobody-using-ssl-client-certificates" is that it would force
>> www pages to be encrypted and would make it a lot more difficult for
>> NSA to log www-trafic.
>>

> No, it wouldn't. You can log a user in using SSL and then redirect the
> user back to an encrypted page, using cookies for the rest of the session.
> Please don't clutter up this list with conspiracy theories. The brutal
> reality is that identity is a hard problem.

Identity need not be a hard problem.  In my view it is a solved problem.

You have a real world entity translated to a digital format.  Yes that can
be slightly ambiguous at time, naming is hard, and people do get this wrong
frequently.

The most common problem is to name something in a way that does not scale.
The solution to this problem is rather easy, and that is to use a URI to
name something, which makes it global and scalable.

In the case of bitcoin you could have use the bitcion URI scheme

bitcion:1fhdjkfhjksf...