Jim,

It's great to see the many ways wallet authors try to protect users from
easy to make mistakes, especially against losing funds.

But this issues isn't confined to custom transaction - some wallet
implementations have a fee field and almost all wallets allow the fee rate
to be configured in preferences. Sanity checking is sensible where a user
can override the calculated fee. Some wallets don't allow the fee to be
adjusted at all, but quite a few do.

Drak