On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Wladimir <laa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What we should really do is:
> - Use deterministic wallets. Making regular backups becomes optional (to
> retain label and transaction data and such) instead of mandatory.
> - Don't support importing private keys. Replace the importing of private
> keys by a "sweep" function.

I'd add a third: make structured key-management possible, e.g.

At a minimum:  Users should be able to hit a "retire keys / keys
possibly compromised" button, which creates a new seed, forces the
user to make a backup (and allows more than one), then switches to the
new seed and moves all their coins.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Mike Hearn <m...@plan99.net> wrote:
> I don't know how to solve this. Badly designed software that looks appealing
> will always be a danger.

"We didn't say it couldn't be done—  We said don't do it!"

Part of the challenge here is that the service does a number of things
people _really_ shouldn't be doing— things so dangerous that I
certainly won't do them— and as a result to not use the site turn into
big education efforts rather than just "use this other thing (that
also does the wrong headed thing you want to do)".