Maybe its time to explore raw ECDSA signed message based certs.

btw I dont think its quite 4kB.  eg bitpay's looks to be about 1.5kB in der
format.  And they contain a 2048-bit RSA server key, and 2048-bit RSA
signatures (256byte each right there = 512bytes).  And even 2048 is weaker
than 256-bit ECDSA.

Adam