On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 01:42:01PM -0400, Matt Whitlock wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 March 2014, at 5:28 pm, Roy Badami wrote:
> > Right now there are also people simply taking base58-encoded private
> > keys and running them through ssss-split.
> >
> > It has a lot going for it, since it can easily be reassembled on any
> > Linux machine without special software (B Poettering's Linux command
> > line SSSS implementation[1] seems to be included in most Linux distros).
> >
> > roy
> >
> > [1] http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/
>
> Respectfully, it's also possible to take a base58-encoded private key and run
> it through GPG, which is included in most Linux distros. But yet we have
> BIP38.

And yet, how many wallets can import BIP38 keys?  If someone gave me
one I would have no idea what software (if any) can understand it (nor
would I have any idea how to generate one in the first place).

Anyway, I'm not arguing against standardising these things - if people
are going to implement this then of course it's beneficial that they
implement it compatibly.  It was just a simple observation - make of
it what you will.

roy