Afaik MultiBit HD is using a modified version of bitcoinj, so maybe you
should ask there too.

The topic of watching wallets is covered in the docs:

https://bitcoinj.github.io/working-with-the-wallet#watching-wallets

Most important, in order to monitor you don't need any private key. Just
use the public master key ("xpub") like explained in the link.