I guess I have always been lucky.  All my dogs and livestock have been
transported by me, friends or family.  OJ

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Carol
J. Elkins
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:47 AM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [blackbelly] Delta Airlines - Pet Alert

Oneta, I pretty much had the same experience the one and only time I
shipped a lamb to California using Delta Dash as the carrier. Lamb arrived
IN SPITE of Delta, not BECAUSE of Delta. I'll never use them again.

Small livestock breeders are finding it more and more difficult to ship
animals across the U.S. The licensed transport companies operate under a
lot of federal restrictions. My vet told me about a new law requiring
transport companies to unload all stock on a trailer every 12 hours. Can
you imagine what our blackbellies would do while being unloaded at an
enforced "rest stop"?

That's why folks like Ron Keener, Edgar Ranch, and First Class Transport
are so important to us. They are private "farmers" agreeing to haul your
sheep in their trailer and thus are not subject to the same rules as the
public transport companies. Some of you may be wondering why I allow these
vendors to announce their routes on our listserv. I apologize if you are
annoyed by what could justifiably be considered "spam," but I truly believe
they are providing a critical service to the sheep industry, and I'm
willing to tolerate their sometimes lengthy emails to support them.

Carol

At 08:08 AM 2/14/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>I got this from one of my dog groups.  Wanted to pass it along. This could
>happen to any animal that had to be shipped to a new home.

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz
T-shirts, mugs, caps, and more at the