Hi Barb,

I don't have any real good answers for the parasite problem.  All I can say
is you are not alone!

I am finding that some sheep are resistant and some are not.  It doesn't
really follow any pattern.  I have had a few cases where a family line was
obviously not resistant (lost each and every one of them)!  But most cases
it appears to be a hit or miss on parasite resistance.  One of my oldest
ewes is resistant.  She has had multiple numbers of boys that were
slaughtered for meat.  The boys have not been around long enough to
accurately assess.  She has only had four girls for me.  Out of the four
girls 2 were resistant and 2 were not.  The ewes that were not resistant
just could not be saved no matter what I did!  One of the ewes that died
produced a daughter that appears to be extremely resistant.  I also have had
several twins where one was resistant and the other not.

I am sure there is a genetic pattern involved in resistance or lack of it.
All I can say is to try to use the best parasite resistant ram you can get.
Realize that a parasite resistant flock is a long term goal.  If you are to
fast with "survival of the fittest" you may not have a flock left.  I am in
total awe of flocks of sheep that are "drug free" found in hot wet
locations!  Arid locations can make many sheep appear resistant.  Resistant
flocks of St. Croix and Gulf Coast Native sheep found in Louisiana, Florida,
and Arkansas are enviable.  I am sure that our Blackbelly can survive in
these locations without "drugs" if given enough time and selection.

One last note on my Barbados Blackbelly sheep.  I have noticed my Barbados
Blackbelly sheep really like to browse (reach up to feed on leaves).
Browsing allows the sheep to feed on parasite free food sources.  My other
sheep (various wool X hair genetics) like tree leaves as well but do not
walk vertical on their hind legs to get to them!  I wonder if some of the
resistance I observe is behavioral more than genetic?

Good Luck,

Mark