At 08:07 AM 10/8/2006, Barb Lee wrote:
>Rick,
>The last time the custom slaughter guy was out here, he did not shoot
>the animal, but instead simultaneously cut its throat and broke its
>neck.  Death was instantaneous.  I couldn't watch but Bob did and he
>said the animal never twitched, unlike being stunned by a rifle first.
>This is a pretty specific skill, and of course his knives are as sharp
>as surgical instruments.
>
>Barb Lee

Wow, that *is* a pretty specific skill... I'd have to see it done many times
before I'd be confident to try it.  He could probably sell an instructional
video to homesteader types.  I have a hard time separating the skull from the
spine when they're dead, let alone still breathing.  I know someone who's
grandma used to kill chickens by twisting the head right off in one movement.
She'd hold it and pet it until it calmed down, then *pop*!  Another trick I'd
like to learn.

Julian