Carol,

I have some experience with this group in the realm of biomedical
research.  I have always considered the AWI a part of the animal rights
movement.  Frankly, though, it has been quite some time since I've been
involved in those issues, and I don't recall whether this group might
lean more toward animal welfare than rights.  I'll take a look a their
website, and see if I can find my old copies of some of their
publications, and let you know more.

I have no interest in having my farm "certified-humane" or "animal
welfare approved" or what have you, by any group.  For one thing, it's
a bit gimmicky.  I think these groups are more geared toward the big
agribusiness-type farms. Purdue chicken might need to participate, to
assure their totally out-of-touch customers thousands of miles away
that their "organic" factory farming is "humane".  But I think my
customers can judge my practices for themselves when they visit the
farm (and my website, which I hope to have up at some point).  I
believe that when local customers see how we treat our animals, it will
be much more meaningful than any seal of approval.  So these humane
groups are totally superfluous to my operation.  It would just be
another set of regulations to adhere to that I not only don't need, but
don't want. I don't want somebody else telling me what the animal
welfare standards are going to be; I am as good a judge of that as any
regulator.  Why should I give yet another regulator the power to weigh
in on my farm decisions?  They may not be the USDA, but if you buy in
to their program, you are bound to do what they dictate.  I'm not
volunteering for that.  And, if all of that weren't enough, I certainly
already have more than enough paperwork to keep me busy.

Just my opinion,
Stephanie Parrish
Westminster, SC