I wouldn't think anyqne with a heart could break the leg of a lamb! You could just catch it and carry it around with you all the time. It will either take to you or not. I had a lamb break a leg and it didn't make him any tamer. I kept him in a horse trailor front and fed him everyday for 6 weeks along with another who had been beaten at a livestock sale and I believe broke a rib or two. Neither one ever became tame. The one with the bad leg was only about 4 months old and the other about a year both rams. Just my 2 cents though. Nancy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Andrus" <andruscompan...@netecin.net>
To: <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 22:10
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Shepherds tactics

 In a discussion this morning some one told me they had heard
that a tactic used by shepherds with lambs that continuously ran off was to break a leg and carry the lamb so the lamb could not/would not run away for the period of time the leg was healing. During the healing time the shepherd
   would carry the lamb on his shoulders thus creating in the lamb a
   dependence/fondness on the shepherd.
Let me be clear, I am not condoning this in the least simply interested to know if any one has ever heard of this tactic being used by any one tending
   sheep.

   TIA,

   Dave