To: <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Help TETANUS????

It appears I have a lamb with tetanus or Closridium. It is my largest lamb and the first one of one of my 2 year old ewes. I have been feeding oat hay that has a lot of grain in it. I also have been feeding corn gluten pellets to supplement as we are in some of the coldest weather we have ever had. Last Tues a blizzard hit with 10 inches of snow and 6 ft drifts. 4 ewes had lambs that day. I have about 45 lambs. I have to keep everybody penned in about 2 acres as the wheat pasture is gone due to the drought. About 3 am I found this lamb stretched out and could not stand. His muscles are tight and will not allow him to move. He has a frothy bloat. I gave him tetanus antitoxin and penn last night but he is still in the same condition this morning. It appears he is somewhat dehydrated as the skin is tight and tough. I ran a feeding tube down his throat last night and it gave him some relief from the gas, but the froth is still there and I cannot get my feeding tube far enough down to administer a surfactant. I am going to try some electrolyte solution in the tube and give hime more antitoxin and penn.

It appears to be tetanus /enterotoxemia.

any opinions would be welcome

Cecil in OKla

=======
http://www.pctools.com/