The products that that are made to reduce light levels in ponds are not safe
for people-- why would you want to have your animals drink it?  Barley straw
'floats' reduce algal blooms in waterways, without introducing chemicals that
may potentially harm the environment or the health of people or animals that
enjoy the water. When I did my internship at an arboretum, It was made known to
all employees and volunteers-- to NOT 'shaded' water from the lily pond in our
eyes or accidently swallow any.  I have noticed in  several locations--  Good
aeration helps reduce algae, as does a cover of duckweed!

 Terry W  Ne Ohio