I am interspersing my  reply on this one!!!

--- On Thu, 7/28/11, Mary Swindell <mswin...@siu.edu> w

> However, another solution which you touched upon is an
> aerating fountain.  That involves some up-front cost,
> but might be the most natural, non-invasive solution of
> all.  I know someone who has a floating aerating
> fountain connected to a dedicated windmill.  The
> windmill drives the fountain pump so that no other power
> source is needed.  This might be a good solution.

One of the locals here started raising fish. And yes, each pond has a windmill
for aeration. Never a sign of algae issues, not even when they  drain to
harvest the crop.

> Another approach:  I have added several geese to my
> farm over the past 2 years, and I have no algae nor pond
> weed anymore.  I wasn't sure if the waterfowl addition
> would be good or bad for the pond, but so far it seems to
> have a fairly benevolent effect.  Of course, you have
> to put up with a little honking and squabbling of the birds
> from time to time, ha ha!

 Geese and most ducks are great at reducing unwanted growth
Ducks are perhaps, a bit messier in some respects, but geese will also 'weed'
gardens.If you can get the fowl to lay eggs in one location, you then have a
second product to sell-- all the nutrition in those eggs from the water weeds
and algae , lower cholesterol than factory farm eggs, etc...
 And I don't mind the honking--why live in the country if you can't appreciate
all the smells and sounds?

 Terry W  Ohio