If your sheep are on lush grass and you are feeding them alfalfa pellets and also some grain, they are getting too much feed... This sounds like a rich ration, and sheep are used to foraging on lower grade grasses. I had this problem when I put out molasses tubs and the grass was lush. I lost 2 to either bloat with this high sugar ration. It was my 2 best ewes also, because they always crowded the others out... If the grass is lush, then I would only give them a mineral supplement and leave the grain for catching them or leading them into the barn....

Just my $0.02

Cecil in oKla

On 9/5/2011 2:10 PM, SHession wrote:
Thank you for all the good suggestions.  They were wormed about 5 weeks ago
with oral Ivermectin.  She seems better this afternoon and nibbled on some
grass, so hopefully we are on the road to recovery.  I will get some Probios
this afternoon, and put out some baking soda.  I will give them another dose of
Ivermectin, but would like to continue to watch her for another day or two
before doing that.

I don't yet have enough experience with the sheep to feel confident in
evaluating whether I am dealing with an emergency or not.

Thanks again.

Sandy

--- On Mon, 9/5/11, Onalee<ona...@aol.com>  wrote:

From: Onalee<ona...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Sick Sheep
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Date: Monday, September 5, 2011, 2:50 PM
Another thing to consider is how long
ago have they been wormed and what did you use?  You
may want to re-worm them, even if they look healthy and fat;
I've seen sheep get sick and die from worm infestation, even
though they looked fine.  I would NOT USE SAFEGUARD ...
that was the most useless wormer I've ever used. Ivomec injectable has worked best for me.