From: "Crystal Wolf" <crystalw...@windstream.net>
To: "Blackbelly digest" <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:30:35 PM
Subject: [Blackbelly] DE

My apologies for using an acryonym without the explanation.  Diatameceous
earth is (DE)  is fossil flour that comes from Utah.  It is tiny ancient
fossils ground into a flour consistancy.  When fed to poultry, dogs, cats,
horeses and sheep it literally cuts up the internal parasites.  It is also
good for human consumption as well.  BE SURE however that you buy food grade
DE.  There is also DE for swimming pools which is not for consumption by any
animal.  I mist their grain with 50/50 apple cider vineger and water
(another natural wormer).  This allows the DE and granulated garlic to cling
to the feed and cut the flour dust down when they eat it.  I also mix it in
their kelp along with granulated garlic.  The lamb I had to destroy had
intestinal worms but I don't recall the name of the worm.  This is the worst
case of internal parasites I've had.  Normally if someone gets wormy which
does not happen very often, I will give them a garlic drench first for a
couple days.  If that does not work, then I give the SafeGuard at a rate
twice noted for goats.  Most times the garlic does the trick.  I rarely have
to use the SafeGuard.  So this guy was must have had a really poor immune
system.  I tried for 3 months to save him, to no avail.  Oh, I also put DE
in the holes where the poultry do their dust baths to help keep off the
mites and lice on the birds.

Cathy Mayton
LeapNLambs