Sandy,

For my perimeter fence, I use 48" standard field fence, with the following extras:

A row of barb wire at ground level. This discourages predators from trying to dig under.

Another row of barb wire 6" above the top of the field fence.

A row of smooth wire 6" above the top barb wire.  This is electrified.

A row of smooth wire about 10" off the ground, on the outside of the fence, held out on 5" extended insulators. This is also electrified. This is the most important aspect. It zaps curious predators before they start to tamper with the fence.

The total height of the fence is 5 feet (60 inches). I use 6.5 foot T-posts for this., with 6 x 6 wood corner post sets.

I have never had a sheep try to go over this fence.

Mary Swindell