> Blackbelly sheep routinely have twins. Sometimes a first-time ewe will birth
> a single lamb, but from then on twins are the norm. Some ewes have triplets,
> but it is not common.

It is interesting learning about the different sheep breeds.  I can't
imagine a Finn sheep giving birth to so many multiples!  Do you run
into problems if the ewe only has a single - for example, the lamb
being too big?

> The failure of your "little ram lamb" to impregnate the "older ewe lambs"
> could be caused by a number of things.

It is not too late for them, I am waiting to see if those ewes have
lambs - they wouldn't deliver until April - June.  Fingers crossed :)

> ~He might have been too young and had not developed full fertility.

My friend had a very young ram lamb (less than 4 months of age)
impregnate one of the yearling lambs.  I did put a 6 month young ram
with the girls this November.  I guess I just start pacing again!  I
hope this fella is fertile, I imagine each is an individual.

> ~He might have been too young and the ewes would not stand for him or he
> could not reach them

Good point.  I put the young ram with the young ewes specifically so
that he wouldn't hurt them with too large a size.  The ewes were
already 8 months of age.  He was with them for a full two months.
After reading your thoughts, I actually put him back in with them.
Why risk not having any lambs at all due to age, missed heats, or
immaturity.  Someone recently said they kept their rams and ewes
together all year round.  The person who helps mentor me doesn't do
that - I guess so they know when to expect lambs.  I know someone else
who staggers their breedings so that they aren't overwhelmed with too
many babies at once.

> ~The ewe lambs might not have been fertile yet; generally they become fertile
> between 4-6 months but I like to wait until they are 8-9 months old to breed
> them)

I guess we will see!  It is so hard being patient.

> As for the "other ram who was with the ewes from mid-May until September" I
> have no idea what the problem could be. Depending on where you are, it could
> have been too hot, causing temporary sterility in the ram.

That definitely wasn't the problem this summer!  It rained a heck of a
lot and was very cool.  I do not have a sophisticated operation - I
have a large yard with a lot of clover and mixed grasses.  I thought
maybe I didn't have enough protein.  I didn't do a lot of mineral
supplementation this summer maybe that was a mistake?  They did have
access to the blue blocks just not the winter mineral.  My mentor had
many problems with ill sheep and goats for a variety of reasons.  She
suggested that I deworm. I was going to deworm but the vet recommended
that I do a fecal count first.  I was so pleased to see that my
numbers were so low as to be almost non existent!

Are any of you good at determining if your ewes are in heat?  I've
been spending way too much time watching my sheep (and avoiding
housework).  I have noticed that sometimes everyone of them has a
really itchy bum - not just your regular butt scratching.  This was
one of the reasons I wanted to deworm.  As I was watching this
prolonged scratching I noticed one of the girls had a slight clear
yellowish discharge.  So I wiped it with my finger and put it to the
rams nose but he didn't do anything.  I only have one sheep with a
docked tail so I can see her vulva easily.  However, with the ram not
making faces that extreme butt scratching has gotten rid of my
hypothesis of how to tell when a ewe is in heat.

> That's all I can think of at the moment.

I appreciate your comments.  Thank you,

Natasha