Thanks Mark you have given me something to work towards.

Mike

On 1/10/2014 8:37 PM, Mark Wintermute wrote:
Hi Mike,

We use separate breeding pens for each grouping of ewes and corresponding
ram.  My wife has created a massive program (not a PC platform) that seeks
out the ewes that are the most unrelated to each ram used.  This also leads
to the lowest Wright's Coefficient of inbreeding for the resulting lambs.
The program also promotes scrapies resistance by aiming for "QR", "KR" or
"RR" outcomes and avoiding "QQ" outcomes.  When this program has a difficult
time finding ewes for a ram it is time for the ram to move on.  Currently
the OPP TMEM154 results are not factored in since it is so new to our farm.
I have 11 foundation bloodlines that are completely distinct from each
other.  The most dominate bloodlines are from Carol Elkins' "Zane" and "St.
Michael" along with my original "Dodge" Barbados Blackbelly ram line from
2001.  Every year my Coefficient of inbreeding creeps a little higher as the
11 bloodlines meld together.  At some point I will have to stop using so
many rams due to all my help leaving for college and careers.  So far I have
used 104 rams to get to where I am today.

Mark Wintermute