I finally saw it as some list-members described: a full grown coyote run up to
my 4.5 foot tall fence and just scale it. It was last night after a previous
night coyote attack that killed my two beloved miniature Pygmy goats and harmed
my toe other pygmys. The sheep were unscathed. I know lessons in shepherding
are hard-earned and I had been thinking about coyotes considering last years
June attack. This year I thought I was being safer. Had the animals in the
central pasture--which has no holes in the fence, the dog was in the pasture
next door. I had been letting her in with the ewes and goats at night, but
stopped doing it, since I have two ewes in a paddock that are ready to lamb and
I was trying to "not stress them out too much".

That was a mistake.

So, after cleaning up the mess yesterday and figuring out one goat has a limp
and the other has a partially paralyzed tongue, I decided to move Sheila, our
dog's home, permanently with the ewes and goats.

I have one of those 1000 candle LED flashlights (which, while costing around
$80-100, I highly recommend--they go forever and look like daylight ) and went
out around 10pm as I had also at 9:00 and 9:30. This time, I was just in time
to hear Sheila growl and see a fully grown coyote lope up to the fence and use
just a few steps to scale it and hop over.

Will simply making the fence straight and higher help? Or I was thinking of
doing something like prison fencing where the fence angles at a 45 degree up
higher and makes it so a climbing coyote would be almost upside down at the
top.

http://wolfdogproject.com/fence/leanin2.jpg

Seems easier and safer than an electrical system along the top edge, which I am
thinking the coyotes might not mind a shock, if there's a good meal

Having the dog in there will certainly help, and I plan to try to lock the
animals in the smaller gated paddocks at night and also, amend their paddock
fencing so they go to the roof. Basically a box, for sleeping in.

The other question, can people with a single burro or llama actually claim they
have never sustained an attack after getting the larger animal?

-MIchael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies

Sent from my iPad