here's the really good home-spun solution I was thinking about. Two
sizes of PVC pipe, and some strong wire. They don't show this, but I
was thinking, you could maybe even attach bells or noise-makers to it.
 Coyote rolls it, makes alarm noise, dogs alerted.

http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm

The only thing to consider is: PVC is meant to be installed under
ground and does not do all that well with UV rays. It would take
years, but eventually need replacing.

http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/Technical%20Bulletins/TB10SunlightEffectsonPVC.pdf

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies