A couple items for the list:

First, I discovered a new app on freshmeat.net today that other blackbox
users of you out there might like: idesk. It provides icons for your
rootwindow *without* taking over the rootwindow. Personally, while I
like ROX for a file manager, I haven't liked the trend in the 1.3.x
series where it takes over the rootwindow and provides the backdrop.
Idesk solves this problem -- and reduces the overhead quite a bit: ROX
now runs at about half the size it did when I used a pinboard, and idesk
uses a scant 2M (as opposed to the 7M I'm saving from using the ROX
pinboard).

Second, now that I'm no longer using ROX for my pinboard, I had to
revert to setting a backdrop image using the rootCommand in my blackbox
style... Which meant I had to reinstall Eterm to get Esetroot. I'm on
Debian, which means xv isn't an option... what other programs are
blackboxers using to do this?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]