Have you tried bbwin32? it is a Blackbox windows shell replacement. I've
found it much better that cygwin + blackbox. I still use the rxvt for a
terminal window when I need *nix stuff but still have the raw windows
apps when needed without the over-head and RAM drain.

 http://www.desktopian.org/bb/

-Tig