On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Scott R. Godin wrote:

> > > This could be similar to Apple's use of the Recent Applications and Recent
> > > Documents menus that were present in the Apple Menu through OS 9 (I don't
> > > currently know whether this is implemented in OS X, but it might be worth
> > > a peek.)

> > recent documents on the other hand is IMPOSSIBLE for the wm to accomplish.
>
> wow. now I *really* wonder how Apple's doing it. :|

Can Mac OS X do it under X11 (with X11 clients) too?

If it is just standard Mac OS X, then probably it has some standard API
for opening files and it is recorded everytime (maybe if the file
extension or mime type or something else indicates that the file is normal
document).

I don't use Windows, but I know it has a similar feature.

Various GNOME and KDE applications also have this feature too. But
it would depend on the software to do it.

See "Recent File Storage Specification" at
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwillcox/recent-file-spec.html

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/