On Friday 23 January 2004 19:59, Dave Serls wrote:
> > > This looks like a re-visit of a similar problem with bbweather.
> > > Are pointers in new instantiation not set to NULL automagically by
> > > gcc3xxx?
> >
> > A new pointer has an unknown value.  NULL (which is now 0 in common C++
> > usage) means "I point to nothing".
>
>   Yes. As it was in C.
>   Yet with gcc 3.3.1 (Mandrake 9.2rc2), the unknown value is 0x100, hardly
>   NULL.  I'm assuming gcc 2.96 has it 0 (NULL).
>   Also, I'm assuming that the failing call to XFreeFont() tolerates NULL,
> but not 0x100.

It is 100% valid for a compiler to not initialize a new variable.  So it will
end up with whatever used to be there.  It is absolutely, positively a bug if
any code uses a variable before some value is assigned to it.

Yes, as you surmise, XFreeFont() does tolerate NULL.  In fact all Xlib calls
that free something tolerate empty objects.