On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:38:21PM +0200, Ciprian Popovici wrote:

> 5. I've tried fspanel and kpager so far. They both have issues. fspanel (v0.8
> which claims netwm compatibility) sometimes loses track of all windows when I
> change workspace; can't figure out why the bug appears, will investigate more.

The EWMH compatability of the 0.8 beta isn't all that great... it will lose
track of iconized windows when you change workspaces, among other things.
It has to do with what hints it looks for on windows when you change
workspaces.  You can make the window re-appear by uniconizing then
re-iconizing it.

There are fixes for most of its more egregious behaviors.

> 6. I have yet to test the Blackbox slit, as I can't find an application that
> will use it. Can anyone suggest anything? I have KDE already installed, is
> there anything I can use from it?

Any dockapp supporting that protocol will use it.  They're endlessly
available.

> 7. Is there any way to make an application such as fspanel be protected from
> full maximization? There's not much point in using it if maximized windows
> will cover it.

Depends on what you think a panel/taskbar/buttonbar should be doing, I
suppose.  Some people want to use the maximum screen area for the
application they're interacting with, and bring the bar forward when they
want it, perhaps with a hotkey (not that fspanel does that, of course).

> It would be better if the maximize space could be limited with a
> blackboxrc option: an X-style geometry option would be the most intuitive
> IMO.

No, it would be better if blackbox honored the strut hinting that fspanel
sets on itself.  It sounds like it's not.  Even the 0.8 beta sets this
correctly, although it doesn't support the _PARTIAL extension from v1.3 of
the EWMH spec.  That's an easy patch if you need support for _PARTIAL,
though, like for Xinerama.

Anybody?  Does blackbox in fact honor _NET_WM_STRUT?

rei $ xprop
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_VISIBLE_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = 0x55, 0x6e, 0x6e, 0x61, 0x6d, 0x65, 0x64,
0x20, 0x57, 0x69, 0x6e, 0x64, 0x6f, 0x77
_NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = 0x55, 0x6e, 0x6e, 0x61, 0x6d, 0x65, 0x64, 0x20,
0x57, 0x69, 0x6e, 0x64, 0x6f, 0x77
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTOP
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: False
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 15
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
_WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 39
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
_NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 24, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1200
_NET_WM_STRUT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 24

(xprop on a fspanel window)

--
 Marc Wilson |     I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.  --
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] |     Gilda Radner