On Sunday 01 February 2004 07:38, Ciprian Popovici wrote:
> This refers to blackbox and bbkeys from CVS.
>
> 1. May I suggest the unification of the configuration files under the
> ~/.blackbox directory? As long as there is more than one Blackbox file, it
> makes sense to use a single directory for them instead of a directory _and_
> a separate ~/.blackboxrc file. I believe ~/.blackbox/rc or
> ~/.blackbox/config were suggested.

I am not opposed to moving the rc file into a ~/.blackbox directory along with
the styles file and menu if the user needs one.  I am not so sure how vanR,
kennis and crew feel about putting their rc files there.  All of the new bb
apps will work with any ewmh compliant desktop / window manager.

> 3. When I change workspace all windows appear unfocused. The one on top is
> actually acting as if it is focused, but the window decorations don't show
> it. On further investigation, it appears that the "click to focus" model
> isn't fully implemented. I've selected "click to focus" and I still get
> "sloppy focus" behaviour, only without the decorations to show it. Actually
> it's a strange mix of click to focus and sloppy focus.

none of us use click to focus so it always need testing.  Submit the
appropriate bugs (-:

> 4. Right click in the Blackbox menu executes the entry under the pointer
> rather than hiding the menu. Is this intended?

hmm, not sure.  Brad?

> 5. I've tried fspanel and kpager so far. They both have issues. fspanel
> (v0.8 which claims netwm compatibility) sometimes loses track of all
> windows when I change workspace; can't figure out why the bug appears, will
> investigate more. kpager seems to work, but I believe it was meant to run
> inside a panel or slit or something, because it acts weird as a
> window(hides on bottom all the time and so on). When I run it with
> --waitforwm which presumably enables netwm compatibility, it crashes.

joy, much testing ahead .....

> 6. I have yet to test the Blackbox slit, as I can't find an application
> that will use it. Can anyone suggest anything? I have KDE already
> installed, is there anything I can use from it?

any window maker dock app should.

> 7. Is there any way to make an application such as fspanel be protected
> from full maximization? There's not much point in using it if maximized
> windows will cover it. The only trick I can think of right now is adjusting
> the toolbar font until the toolbar is as thick as fspanel, then placing
> them both on the same screen margin; fspanel covers the toolbar, and the
> toolbar keeps maximized windows away. But it's not going to be very nice,
> using fonts to control the toolbar thickness. It would be better if the
> maximize space could be limited with a blackboxrc option: an X-style
> geometry option would be the most intuitive IMO.

the ewmh spec provides for a thing called "struts".  Applications that do not
want to not be maximized over (panels in particular) lay claim to an edge of
the screen.  This is how the toolbar and the slit work currently.  Perhaps
you have the "full maximization" option enabled?  This disables strut
handling.

> 8. I noticed that right clicking on the window-name portion of the toolbar
> actually brings up that window's context menu, not the toolbar's. It seems
> a bit counter-intuitive to me. However, I can see how this feature can be
> useful if you run into a window without decorations.

comments from other users welcomed here.

> 9. Suggestion: the toolbar context menu should look like the window context
> menu ie. like a pulldown off the toolbar, not like a separate menu.

it is actually the same menu as if you went to blackbox -> configure ->
toolbar.

> 10. The Blackbox menu has a small latency when opening submenus. Can this
> be controlled? Also, I wonder how the "open submenu" keybinding is chose
> between left-arrow and right-arrow; is it based on where the bullet is or
> it's always right-arrow?

hmm, I do not believe it can be controlled currently.  Have not looked at the
new code deeply enough to really answer this one.