On Thursday 02 September 2004 16:18, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Ciprian Popovici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I suppose at some point we will have to lose the "no external
> > dependencies other than X" slogan.
>
> That is quite unfortunate.  I was rather fond of being able to
> install my working environment with less than 10 add-on packages.
>
> FWIW, I don't really like reasoning along the lines of ``oh,
> everybody already has package X installed anyway, so we can also rely
> on it''.

I completely understand.  If I may, I'd like to elaborate my reasoning
in more detail: "The function we use is defined by POSIX, but not
available on all system, except as an add-on.  We can safely assume
that other software that is or will be installed will also use this
POSIX defined function, so there's nothing to stop us from using it as
well."

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway