On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

> > Also I see only a archive libbt installed, but no shared library
> > (libbt.so). Is there plans to provide/use a shared library (for bbkeys for
> > example)?
> >

> I've sent the patch that allows this to happen a while ago, and it was
> decided (iirc) that at least until we go through all the betas, libbt
> would not provide a shared library, as it would make things slightly
> simpler to debug, etc.

That makes sense.

>  I'm hoping that before the next full version of
> blackbox/bbkeys/bbpager are released, we'll have a shared library.

Okay.

> > Any suggestions on what I should use for listing all my
> > minimized/iconified titles?
> >

> hm.  well, bbkeys could do this, I suppose.  are you saying that the
> minimized windows should show up in the window-cycling list?

For a few years, I always kept the Iconfied window list in my upper right
corner. Any time I started blackbox, I would open up my menu and rip off
and drag that icon list (even if empty) to the top right. Then I could
easily click on windows I want to go to.

For a couple years I patched blackbox to not let the menu get to wide (it
was crop after some set size). This is so very long titles wouldn't make
the menu cover of my valuable real estate.

Sometimes I have over 50 X clients running. And 25+ iconified.

Yesterday and today I have fbpanel open, but it is of no value to me yet.
It shows many icons on bottom of screen, but I can't see what they are
(only 1/4 inch in size) unless I hover for a moment over each one -- it
is too slow.

I'd like to quickly see all my X clients by name, minimized or not and be
able to select and have it brought to the front and in focus.

Now I am trying to live without minimized windows and just use shading.

Later, I may try (if I have time) bbkeys and blackbox from CVS.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/  -- BSD news and resources