On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0500 Matt Rowley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> blackbox has _never_ taken anywhere near that long for me, even on my
> >> older hardware.
> >> what version of blackbox?  what version of bbkeys?  are you just doing
> >> 'startx' or are you running xdm or gdm/kdm/etc?
> >
> > No, xinit from virtual terminal, bb 0.65.0., bbkeys 0.8.6.
>
> what's in your .xinitrc (or .xsession, too if you have that)?

It was in the first message, just bbkeys and blackbox in there. .xsession
may be worth seeing. Also, it's bb 0.65 so it can't be fontconfig at fault
(FC support was added in 0.70, right?).

Try replacing everything in ~/.xinitrc with just an xterm. Let's see if
it's X or Blackbox at fault here. Also, once X started with just the xterm,
use the xterm to launch blackbox (simply call it). Compare times.

Perhaps it's a strange style or background image at fault. Try hiding
all the styles from Blackbox or try some with fewer colors and no
background image, just a pattern, see if it changes anything.

Try grabbing a precompiled binary from somewhere else or compile one
yourself. If you compiled it, what did you use for ./configure?

If all else fails, perhaps a strace can be useful. I think it's pretty easy
to redirect strace output to a file, but I don't know if it will work from
.xinitrc.

--
Ciprian Popovici