On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:12:24 -0600 Patrick Bogen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I experience the same delay with bbkeys- I can only assume it's some
> sort of initialization?

Sort of. I believe it's due to the need bbkeys has for checking that a
EWMH compliant window manager is running. Remember that bbkeys has to
actually be started before Blackbox, due to the way startx works. There is
no way to accurately predict how long will the window manager take to
start, so you can't really use the sleep trick reliably. And if bbkeys
tries to do its stuff without a window manager, it would crash and burn. I
think it actually did, in some earlier CVS version. So the delay is time
that bbkeys takes to determine that Blackbox is up and ready for action.
I'm not sure if the mechanism could be improved, but I suspect that if it
was possible, vanRijn would have done it.

No expert, me, just my 2ยข and MHO.

--
Ciprian Popovici