Sorry for jumping into the discussion so late, but I was away
getting hitched. I'll be heading off in a day or so for a two
week vacation, but I was curious what solution folks would prefer :

   A) None. Just encourage people to use exec or & in their
      menu items. (Or force everyone to use bash :)
   B) Eliminate the ability to run compound commands in menu
      items and rootCommands.
   C) Eliminate the ability to run compound commands in menu
      items, but leave it in for rootCommands.
   D) Provide two menu items, say [exec] and [cexec]; the first
      would just use "sh", the second "sh -c". rootCommand would
      still use "sh -c". For the most part this would make things
      work like they used to before the exec code was changed.
   E) Provide two menu items, say [exec] and [sexec]; the first
      using "sh -c" and the second using "sh". rootCommand would
      still use "sh -c".

My impression is that people mostly use compound commands in
their rootCommands, in which case I would favor C... (also, I
haven't checked if cexec or sexec would cause conflicts in the
parsing code).

Jeff Raven