You make a good point for combining the apps.

If the code is together, then we know it will always work together.  We
don't have to go "Great, new release of blackbox, now we must test X
apps to make sure they still work."

Also, having one rpm to install everything is terrible.  I may want to
use bbpager but not want the bbappconf on my box, however with an rpm,
you have no choice (note: I know in theory you should be able to create
an rpm that will only install certain things but try then tell me its
possible).
Immagine having compile time options.  These options are set to 'no' by
default so you don't have to do anything if you don't want the code in
blackbox. Because the code isn't compiled in, you don't get the code
installed with blackbox.  However people that want stuff in, would have
it included.  I wouldn't duplicate code from app to app, it would work
with each new blackbox version, and it wouldn't have to use X as a
middleman.

Just a thought...

Eric H.