Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> So, you claim because enhancements/changes/derived works have to be
> given back to the public, the GPL is not Public Domain?  Not following
> you here.

Oops, I'll check myself before someone else does (hopefully).  It would
seem that Mr. Reed is correct.  The term "Public Domain" carries a bit
of legal ramification with it:

<quote>
Public domain software is software that is not copyrighted. It is a
special case of non-copylefted free software
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#Non-CopyleftedFreeSoftware>,
which means that some copies or modified versions may not be free at all.

Sometimes people use the term ``public domain'' in a loose fashion to
mean ``free''
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#FreeSoftware> or
``available gratis.'' However, ``public domain'' is a legal term and
means, precisely, ``not copyrighted''. For clarity, we recommend using
``public domain'' for that meaning only, and using other terms to convey
the other meanings.
</quote>

This is not quite what I intended.  I mis-spoke and apologize.

Jamin W. Collins